Sunday, May 13, 2012

Running the race

Since February, Drew has been training to run a 5K through a program at our church called Run For God. Having never run a substantial distance before, this was a big undertaking for learning to like running and training to run several times per week.

Yesterday was the final run for the group at the ROCC the Potter's House 5K run. Here is a group picture of the class from church. Nearly 400 people participated in the run -- making is hugely success for it's first year. I was planning on running with him, but life intervened and I ended up walking with a good friend instead of training all spring with Drew. Next race, I will have to learn to run.

Drew's head is nearly covered by the guy in front of him. I had to point him out so you knew he was there!

Drew headed near the front of the runners to begin the race. Rachel and I, not so much. We didn't want to be stampeded.

Drew gave me instructions to take a picture of him while we were passing each other to prove that he was actually running the race. This is what I got:



So maybe I haven't figured out my new iPhone yet.... I turned on Siri instead of hitting the camera button and instead of capturing Drew in all his running glory, got the random space between him and the 9-year-old girl on his tail that he didn't want to beat him. I am so awesome like that!

Drew beat his goal of under 27 minutes -- a goal time which he had never been able to beat while practicing -- with a time of 26:35. Way to go, babe! I finished walking it at around 45 minutes -- and found out I was somehow listed as No. 8 for my age in the men's group..... oh dear, Drew pointed out that we have a problem since the amendment in North Carolina just passed....


Emery came with us to play with the kids and enjoy the jump houses and other activities planned. When we picked her up from her classroom and asked if she wanted to hit the food booths first since she had only eaten 1 bite of her doughnut on the way to the race, she said, "Nope. I not hungry until I play first, mom."

Alright then. This girl has priorities.

She got to play with the hula hoops, jump in the jump house, run through a blow-up obstacle course, including her favorite -- climbing a rock wall (by herself, I might add), getting a pink puppy balloon from the clowns and getting a really weird purple puppy painted on her face.

I got to catch up with a friend and get some good exercise in; Drew ran a great race; Emery played her little heart out. It was a great day had by all.


Over and out ---

No comments: