Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Jesus lives.....in a treehouse

Perhaps I should back up.

Emery inherited what my parents will lovingly call "radar ears," which means she has the ability to hear and pick out parts of a conversation from across the room, when people are whispering, in the car with the radio on, etc. The only time we're really "safe" in talking in front of her is when she's asleep!

She can hear everything and usually asks questions about why we said something or she'll repeat what we say. For this reason, I only listen to KLOVE (a great Christian station), or her children's music on the radio or in the car. Last week, we were making lunch and listening to the radio. I think the song that was playing was the one by Steven Curtis Chapman, the Long Way Home with lyrics that go:

"And I know some times it seems like we……
Doing the wrong way
But it’s just a long way home"


I was vaguely paying attention to the music while I dug around in our pantry. She is sitting next to me on the fireplace and goes, "Momma, why can't that boy find his home?"
 (When I accidentally go the wrong way to get somewhere like the wrong library on story time day, she gets upset that I can't find the right way somewhere, which is why she picked up these lyrics)

"What boy, baby?"

"The boy singing."

I had to stop and listen to the words to figure out what she was asking me.

Then I attempted to explain to an almost-three-year-old that one day Jesus would come back for those who have Jesus in their hearts and take them to his home up in heaven.

We then discussed for awhile if she had Jesus in her heart, and if Mommy, and Daddy and Cohen and Uncle John, etc. had Jesus in their hearts.She seemed to be thinking about it a bit, then went on and started playing in her room again.

Fast forward to the weekend. Emery tells Drew that one day Jesus is coming to take us to his home in heaven and that we won't live here anymore, but that she will still live with Mommy.

On Monday, when I came back from working, Megan, my great babysitter and brother's girlfriend, told me Emery had asked her if she had Jesus in her heart because she wanted her to go to heaven with us.

Nearly a week has passed and every day something has cropped up about Jesus. Even at this young of an age, I think Jesus works in hearts.

She's asked Cohen if he loves Jesus.

She's set up all her ponies and told them about Jesus. "Jesus is in my heart ponies, and Jesus is.... Jesus."

Yesterday on the way to exercise class, the inevitable happened. She asked where Jesus lives.

"He lives with his daddy, God, in a great big house somewhere in heaven."

"Oh, ok. Does Jesus live in a treehouse?"

"Um..I don't think it's a treehouse, but maybe."

"Does he live in my treehouse? ... a slight pause while she moved on to a new topic (she's easily distracted) Where's heaven?"

"I'm not really sure, baby. It may be way up in the sky somewhere where we can't see it."

"Oh, like in the clouds. I see heaven mom! (As she looks out her window at the sky.)

We're getting there. Gotta keep planting little seeds in that precious mind.

Em's strategically placed arm kept missing the goods

Random video from this weekend:



Over and out --





No comments: