Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Girls Night

Last night Daddy was at his final Run For God class, which left me, Emery, and a sleepy, cranky, vaccine-laden Cohen home for the evening. Cohen conked out early so we decided to have a girls evening and completely disregard the traditional bedtime routine by eating dinner right before bedtime so we could continue our Barbie tea party.

I worked all morning and half the afternoon away from the house yesterday, so when we got back from our new playgroup, Emery was very ready to have my undivided attention to play. The problem for her was deciding what she wanted to do first. Reading books is usually at the top of her list, but tonight she wanted to play hide and seek because "that's my favorite game ever."

For those that hate hide and seek with children, play with Emery. She makes it simple. She counts to 6 while peeking, and then comes and finds you, yelling "You Found ME!" Then when it's her turn to hide, she jumps out after about 10 seconds yelling, "Here I Am!! Here I Am!! Do you see me?"

Third hiding spot. First was behind the chair I was sitting on. Second was the announced location of under the table.
Then in the middle of counting, she was ready to move on and got out the Barbie box and began instructing me on how to play with them.

After we appropriately dressed the Barbies since she loves undressing them, she decided it was time for a tea party. She got out her tea cups and snack bowls for each one and put the itsy, bitsy, Barbie cupcakes in the bowls to share.

Not only did we play Barbies, but she informed me we WERE Barbies. She was Tinkerbell Barbie and I was Monkey-Tee Barbie. When I asked for clarification on my name, she laughed and switched it to Tinkerbell's Friend. -- that's a little easier to swallow.

By this time, it was getting late and we needed to eat if we were going to accomplish bedtime on time. But first, we had to make silly faces -- a favorite activity inherited from her father.



She beat me eating dinner and announced she had to go to the bathroom. Since we're working with her on going by herself -- including getting on the toilet, wiping and pulling her pants back up, I reminded her to go quickly so I could give her a potty sticker to put on her chart.

About three minutes later she returns fully dressed and ready for her sticker. I ask, did you go potty?

"Yes, momma. I did and now I get a potty sticker. I even put my panties on."

"Did you flush?"

"No."

"Did you wipe?"

"Nope."

"You didn't wipe your bottom?"

"Nope."

"Why wouldn't you wipe your bottom?"

"Because I didn't want to."

"Oh, Emery. That's yucky. We always wipe our bottom after we go potty because that makes our panties yucky. Are your panties wet?"

She looks down at her crotch and goes, "Yep. They sure are."

Oh my. How does my nearly three-year old who speaks like an adult choose not to wipe!?

As I tucked her into bed, I try to ask her what her favorite part of the day was. This was her response:

"I liked playing Barbies and being Barbies! And I liked dinner. I always like dinner. What was your favorite part today?"

I told her I liked playing Barbies too, and then she asked what else I liked, so I said I also liked going with her to the playdate this afternoon.

"What else did you like?" she asked.

"That's all. Those were my favorites."

"I like singing. Do you like singing with me, Mom?"

"I do. I love singing with you Emery."

"Did we sing today?"

"Yep, in the car. We sang Mary had a Little Lamb and then you sang some new songs you made up."

"Oh yes. Would you like me to sing you another one? I have a lot of songs to sing. You can just sleep here in my bed for two more minutes while I sing to you."

If I only I could. The songs would literally only end if she fell asleep singing them.

Here's a few extras from yesterday:

Sibling Dora time

What child willingly has the mask on his face? Cohen loves this thing and would sit there all day with it on if he could.


Over and out --

No comments: