Thursday, May 10, 2012

Don't take me away!

Emery's grasp of the world around her and the language needed to communicate in it astounds me. Each day she shows me a new skill or new phrases that are surprising coming out of a 2-year-old's mouth. I love seeing her inquisitiveness and try to answer all of her questions as best and accurately as possible because I know she's just soaking up all the information in that big head of hers. (Yes, both my children have giant heads compared to the rest of them.)


Yesterday she gave me a glimpse into how her brain works.


Next week is her last week of preschool before summer break and she's quite upset that she won't be going to school throughout the summer. Me too, kiddo.

As we were driving to school yesterday -- me driving rather, er... expeditiously to arrive on time.... she goes:

"Wow, mom. You're driving fast, but can we go faster?"

"No, baby girl" -- as I'm scanning the street I'm stopped at to see if I can roll through the sign. "I can't go any faster."

"Why, mom? You drive faster on the big road."

"I know, but on this road, I can't go any faster. It's the rule. If I go too fast, the policeman will come take me away."

"Oh, no. I will look for him."

A few seconds pass...

"Nope. Momma. I don't see that policeman out my window. Where did he go?"

"Hmmm. I don't know. Luckily, I don't think he's watching this street today."

"Is the policeman a boy or a girl?"

"It depends. Policeman can be either girls or boys."

"Hmmm. Well I don't see any girl policeman out my windows. Are you looking for the boy policeman out your window, mom?"

"Yep."

"If you see him, let me know. I won't let him take you away."

"Thanks baby."

I love the little conversations we have in the car.

Thankfully no police patrol our neighborhoods to take me away.

And here's one just because they are so stinkin' cute.




No comments: