Friday, May 11, 2012

The Hard Lesson of Sharing

We went to our church last night for a spaghetti dinner fundraiser and decided to briefly walk through the yard sale that was to begin today. From a distance, to be honest -- it didn't look like much. But what yard sale really does, right?

As we perused the aisles I would find an item or two and pick it up, then move on. Emery played and tested out everything she could find and with Mom, Dad, Drew and Gram also looking, we were finding deals. Too many deals. This many deals.



Plus more in our trunk. So perhaps we went a little overboard. It was AMAZING! I can't pass up good deals. We got puzzles, toys, DVDs, books, golf clubs, wooden blocks, a wheelbarrow, Snow White suitcase and more.

Since Emery was playing with all the toys and testing out the dining room chairs, I was describing her "ba-prises" in the car on the way home (for some reason she has started putting "ba" on words she definitely knows how to say, like guitar, which is lately ba-tar). I told her we got new games and puzzles and movies. Then I told her we would have to go through her toys and give some away to make room for the new toys.

This was our conversation:

"Why do I have to give my toys away?"

"Because we don't need all those toys at the house. We need to give some away to people who don't have toys."

It was quiet for a minute in the back.

"Momma, do you have any toys?"

"Nope, I don't, baby."

"OK. Momma I will just share my toys with you then since you don't have any. I can do that."

"Oh Emery, that is so nice. I was thinking more along the lines of other kids who need toys."

"Well, you need toys too, Momma."

Well said, child.

Over and out --

No comments: