Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Great Surprise!


Luckily, in most situations we've been in and gone through, Drew and I have a laid-back, calm-ish approach to life. We roll with the punches and given time to process things (read: for hyper-planner me to process things) are ready for everything thrown at us. Such is the case today.

With great excitement, shock and a little bit of insanity, we will welcome baby No. 3, our little surprise, or Baby Pony the sister, as Emery wants to name it, in early February.






Now let's get a few things straight here:

1. Yes. I realize Cohen and Baby #3 will be very close. I've done the math. They will be 15 months apart....

2. Do I even have to answer the question of was this baby planned? :)

3. We are very, very excited about a new baby. Life without a little chaos would be boring. We're definitely not ever going to be bored.

Now that we've got that little bit covered, let's handle reactions:

Me: Since I took a test merely to amuse myself and freak Drew out, I was the shocked one of the two of us. I never saw it coming and thus, directed a few self-edited curse words at Drew. I think I repeated, Oh my gosh, oh my gosh a hundred times in a row. Then I had to sit down for awhile. Then I joined Drew in laughing. It can only be funny. It is very obvious to us that we were meant to have this baby now, and so we are excited to meet this newest personality in the family.

Drew: When I walked out with a positive test and cursing, Drew immediately started laughing. I don't think he stopped the entire time I ranted. We both have the amazing ability to be calm when the other one isn't. In this case, he calmed me down and told me we would be fine. We would make it. We would not go completely crazy and it would be great. He will continue to be my reassurance throughout this pregnancy when I become irrational -- like he has the past two.

Emery: We had been probing Emery for a few weeks before we actually told her to see what her reaction would be. We got mixed reactions each time.

1st time -- Would you like to have another baby brother or sister?
"No, I want Mommy to myself."

2nd time -- "No, I just got Bubba. I don't want another one."


3rd time -- "Yes! I want a baby sister this time."

After testing the whole can you keep a secret and failing, we decided to wait until last week when we felt pretty safe about it to tell her. When Drew posts the video from his phone online, I'll add it here.

When we actually told her, she was neutral in her reaction. She kept interrupting by asking for food and napkins like it wasn't registering. I actually thought she hadn't heard us, so when we stopped recording I asked her what we had told her.

"You said I'm going to have a baby brother or sister and its in your belly."

Well, at least she understands. She's more excited now and wants everyone to come feel the baby in my belly. Good thing we waited a few weeks to tell her. :)

We told our families and close friends we could see in person by showing them this pic I took of the kids:


With Emery I was sick very little. With Cohen, I was very sick the first 22 weeks. With this one, I am fairly sick, but not completely immobile like I was with Cohen, so I have no idea whether this one is a boy or girl based on that. Drew is predicting boy and he's been right the past two,  so we will see.

5 weeks

8.5 weeks
We have a lot of logistics to work out in the next 7 months, but we've always been provided for before by God and this will be no different.

Next time I'm thinking life is going pretty smoothly, I'm going to keep that thought to myself. :)

Over and out --

3 comments:

Laurie B. said...

Mal & Drew--
Congratulations on the upcoming event! I can't wait to meet you and your little troopers some day. At the rate I'm moving in that direction, you may be sporting your own little league team by then, but I'm trying! I love reading your blog. You've got such a great outlook on life and you certainly know how to keep your mom (that would be Towona) smiling. And I laugh a lot too. Take care.

Laurie

Jen said...

Aww yay! I did well and didn't tell a soul! Phew, don't ever make me keep a secret ever again! Congrats!!!! I can't wait to meet the little one and I really love the picture announcement!

Drew Watts said...

Many congratulations! It’s a party time for whole family. Will book one of the alluring LA event venues for our festive celebration next weekend. It's a three day party. Can have luncheon on one, tea and snacks on second and finally dinner on third day. Dishes will all be totally different. Some entertaining games and singing would definitely add some charm to the celebration.