Saturday, June 2, 2012

Future Queen of England.....

If you know my family, you know we have a slight tendency to make a big deal out of birthdays. My mother has celebrated her birthday the entire month of June for as long as I can remember. The birthday person gets a day doing what they want, eating what they want, sleeping in as long as they want, etc. So I've spent several weeks thinking and planning what I wanted to do for Emery's birthday once she decided (we've had a good idea it would be this theme for a long time) on wanting a princess castle cake.

Now I tend to get over-excited about making her birthday cake since I have no experience with making decorative cakes with fondant icing, and usually bite off more than I can chew. Such as choosing an intermediate cake this year when I've only made one melting Pooh's honey pot cake in my life. Nonetheless, the cake looked awesome online, so I decide to tackle it with Drew's help.

I won't show you the intended final product since we opted to go easy any only make 5 towers instead of the suggested 11 or 13. :) Luckily I started several days before the party or we would never be finished! We spent 5+ hours Thursday working on building the cake....and then several on Friday....and then fixed a few things today.....

But it didn't matter, I would do it all again just for Emery's reaction. When she saw us put together the final towers of the cake and saw what it would look like her eyes lit up and she said, "I can't believe it. I can't believe it. A pink princess castle cake!"

Here are some pictures of us making the cake:

Drew didn't get to help last year. This year I put him to work! He was my frosting master and made 8.5 lbs of powdered sugar in the cakes and cupcakes.

Emery patiently waiting to put the princesses on the cake

The final product!

We started off  her birthday party day by waking her up in bed with breakfast. Daddy made her dippy eggs, very buttery toast, a banana and of course, warm milk.



Then we had to get ready for the party! Emery had four friends coming this morning. Her good friend from preschool, Elizabeth, ended up being sick today and didn't get to make it, but her Gigi dropped off such a sweet gift of fun things to play with!

The princess and her cake

Each princess had this table setting with a pink-pink-pink cupcake!

The princesses dining

I had seen a cute idea on Pinterest to have a frame hanging on a tree for the party-goers to take their picture with so we set up a gold frame for our princesses to enjoy. Maggie and Abby got the idea right away -- Emery on the other hand....


Her best buddy Abby

Sweet Miss Maggie

Princess and Uncle John who wore his pink shirt because it's Emery's favorite color (can you tell?)



Little Buddy got to participate in the fun too!

Emery got oodles of gifts from her sweet friends and family. She loved opening them up and ooh and aahed over everything.

Uncle John and Megan got Emery a princess card that sang "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" with a pink feather boa, M&Ms and a cowgirl ballerina costume. When I asked her this afternoon what her favorite part of today was, she said, "I liked pushing the button on my card and dancing like a princes!" Guess they could have just stuck with the card! :)


Uncle John's Cowgirl Ballerina costume

Light-up Princess shoes

Emery's face while everyone sang Happy Birthday to her

All in all, it was a wonderful day and I think we succeeded in having her feel like a princess all day! That's the most important thing -- as long as we let her know she's special. :)

Over and out --

No comments: