Sunday, June 24, 2012

When I Grow Up I Want To Be.....

A roller skater! For several weeks, Emery has been telling us that when she grows up she wants to be a roller skater. We weren't sure where she got this idea or if she even knew what it meant, but we decided to roll with it.... pun intended. :)

When she woke up from her nap Saturday, we told her we had something really exciting to tell her. We asked her if she wanted to do something fun.... like clean her room. She gave us a blank stare, like really guys? That's what I was called in here for? Then Daddy, said, "No, I'm just teasing you. Would you like to go roller skating?"

She froze for about two minutes, so we repeated the question. I wished we had had a camera trained on her face because she got the biggest smile we've seen in a long time out of her. She immediately agreed to put on pants and a shirt and take off her mismatched pajamas -- something we fight her on every day.

"Momma, I need to line up my princesses real quick, then tell them bye and then we can go roller skating!" she tells me in a high pitched voice that gets more and more excited as she gets to the end. If you remember, this child lines up everything all day long.

We got everybody socks, dressed and in the car, ready to hit the rink. On the way, she wanted to know if we were all skating with the car, or something weird like that. We explained that no, skating is when you skate on a floor with wheels on your feet. She thought that was hilarious. "Wheels on your feet? That's so silly!"

This was Emery when we arrived at the typical shady skating rink you're all familiar with, with few cars, punked-out teenagers that think they're the bomb at skating and psychedelic lighting.


When we walked in the skating rink, there were only a handful of people there for a birthday party. Emery was mesmerized by the flashing lights on the wall and was screaming, "Mommy, fireworks! Mommy, fireworks!"

We got her size 9 skates since that was the smallest they offered (she wears size 7) but I don't think it would have mattered much had she had the correct size.

Daddy lacing her up

Since she is super attached to Momma right now, Daddy laced her up and prepared to watch and take pictures of us around the rink. We quickly discovered this was going to be a short trip...she couldn't even stand up on the skates without falling.

Drew gave her a test run on the rink in his socks to see if she would even make it. After 10 seconds, she wanted her shoes back on. Since we had just paid $12 to get in five minutes before, I decided to show her how it would work and skate around the rink with her watching.

She must of liked watching me skate because by the time I made the loop around, she was ready to go with me. I have to admit, I can't remember the last time that I went skating and I needed that loop to figure out what I was doing.

Emery and Momma after our loop around

We made it once. One time around the skating rink, struggling the whole time. If I hadn't been pregnant and given birth to this child, it would rank up there as one of the hardest things I've done in a long time. Since she couldn't stand up on the skates, I was basically holding her up by either her armpits or hands and trying to skate around the rink with her between my legs. It was the longest 10 minutes of my life. I tried skating backwards with her. I tried showing her how to walk on the skates and glide. I tried going beside her. I tried holding her and pulling her. I tried going fast and dragging her. She loved every part of it. Me....I was ready for Daddy to go around by the time we made it back to him.

Since we decided last minute to make this trip, we took Bubba with us to sit the sidelines.


If we had planned ahead, we would have left him with someone so we could each take a hand and go around the rink with her. Lesson learned.

When we made it back around, she was really excited to go with Drew. They made it 10 feet, when she decided she was tired and wanted to watch Drew make loops. So we watched again and again as Drew skated around the rink with the other pre-teens holding on to the wall and the one poor dad learning to skate with his son. They both were laying on the ground more than skating!

Thirty minutes later, we decided that skating was more of a future-family option. Emery still loved it, even though it was super hard for her and still wants to be a roller skater. Now if we could only figure out what she thought it was going to be.....

We ended our fun-filled day with bubble fun, always a hit here.

Drew blowing bubbles from the treehouse

Chasing bubbles around the yard -- Bubba watched them fly into his face and past him

After she ran face first into his swing, she decided to start pushing him, which resulted in a lot of giggles from both of them.

Since it's been a while since I've posted, we'll throw in a few randoms as well:

Cohen's first teething cookie -- after about 10 minutes, he figured out how to gnaw on it

We asked Emery as Drew was brushing her hair at bedtime if we were ever going to cut her hair. Her response, "No, I'm going to be like Punzel, the princess Punzel, Momma. She has beau-ti-ful hair." So, I guess we will soon be sending her to the tree house to let down her long hair. 

No, we did not plan on matching at church..... Drew so copied me.

Now, it's back to crazy weekdays. Over and out --

2 comments:

Jen said...

When she's ready to be a rollergirl, I'll go to try outs with her! When we took Sophie ice skating, they had walkers so they can hold themselves up and push themselves. It's a shame they don't have something like this for rollerskating as well!

Unknown said...

Seriously! That would be genius. They obviously knew it was our first time and didn't even offer tips or anything to help. They simply skated by us super fast showing off to the crowd of 5....